If you would like to raise extra funds to help your grandchildren through university, Equity Release could be just what you need. Current estimates of student debt on graduating can be £44,000 or more. Not surprisingly, more and more grandparents are helping cover university costs that could otherwise take up to 30 years to pay back.
If you’re keen to help, why not talk to us about Equity Release? We can show you various ways to free up cash currently locked in the value of your home.
Please remember: if you’re gifting funds and die within 7 years, this could create tax charges* in the future. However over the longer term, using Equity Release could actually reduce any Inheritance Tax liability on your estate.
Typically, if you are over 55 and own your own home, you could release some of the equity in your home. You will still own your home and can carry on living in it.
The loan will eventually be repaid when the property is sold, either on your death or when you have moved in with family or into residential care.
As Equity Release specialists, we are convinced of the merits of raising capital by these means as long as the following measures are taken:
- All possible alternatives are discussed with your advisor and your family.
- The initial release matches your plans. Don’t take out any more than you need.
- You receive independent equity release advice from a suitably qualified advisor
- The recommended lender complies with the ERC Code of Conduct
- You receive separate legal representation from that of the lender. This will involve a face-to-face meeting with your solicitor.
- You receive a Key Facts Illustration and a Suitability Report covering all aspects of your advisor’s recommendation including set up costs, interest rate, future balances and early repayment charges.
* Any references to taxation are based on our understanding of current legislation and HM Revenue & Customs practice, which can change.
To find out if you are eligible, call Michael Hodgetts, Lighthouse Platinum Wealth Management Ltd T: 01473 730999 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equity Release may involve a lifetime mortgage or a home reversion plan. To understand the features and risks of an Equity Release scheme please ask for a personalised illustration. Equity Release may not be right for everyone. It may affect your entitlement to state benefits and will reduce the value of your estate.